Saturday, September 3, 2011

The End of Summer

Summer is fast disappearing! The flowers in my planters are getting leggy, most of the perennials are done except for the roses and a couple of long blooming ones. But, larder is beginning to look filled.
The first two are the shelves in the cold room with canned tomatoes, strawberries, cherries, raspberries and some venison from last fall (hopefully I'll have some more this fall).Dill pickles and sweet mixed pickles by the wall, raspberry jam up by the bottle of wine and the case of beer (cold rooms are great for more than storing food)!
The potato bin, not as full as last year, but this summer I tossed out pails of wrinkled sprouted potatoes left over from last year so I didn't plant as many. There is more than enough for the two of us till next year....I hope!
Beet pickles cooling on the counter and I still have enough beets to give away to a lady who didn't have any.
Some of the tomatoes from the greenhouse, I still have a ton on the vines. Think I'll pick them so they ripen at the same time so I can bottle them too.

And finally the bale yard. There is only about 400 bales in there right now, we still have close to 900 to haul home from the fields.
Not only will we eat well this winter, so will the cows.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for the visit! I am in LOVE with your pantry and your gorgeous field! Lucky lucky! ^.^ You should post a canning tutorial. I'm hoping to learn as soon as I get the equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Thelma. I love hearing about different ladies canning projects and seeing their beautiful results. Living down here in s.e. FL where there are no 'cold rooms' for storing canned goods, I never learned how to can.

    Love seeing your fields and how wonderful that your cows will eat well this winter too.

    You have some lovely roses too and I love seeing everyone's roses.

    Enjoy your fall season ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one hard working woman! Was there one more bottle of wine BEFORE you started all that canning?

    ReplyDelete