Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Debbie! Debbie!!

I did it! I did it! I finally made cornbread. Ever since you blogged about yours I have wanted to try it, so today was the day.

I dug Mom's old cast iron frying pad out of the cold room, cleaned it up and seasoned it, then checked the Internet for recipes. There were a lot out there so I got the basics and just made my own. It came out golden brown, just a little bit crispy around the outside and moist on the inside.
I had a big pot of bacon and beans simmering all afternoon and together they were delicious.

Sadly hubby decided he didn't like it, so now I have most of the pan to eat myself - I'm thinking warmed up with butter and syrup or honey or jam...... seems to me I remember Dad or one of my uncles talking about cornbread and molasses. So many possibilities, so many calories.....lol!

1 comment:

  1. Its BEAUTIFUL!!!! A bean soup with it too? I can't believe he didnt like cornbread!!!! But turning it into a desert dish for (only) you works out pretty good too. My Mom used to make a pot of chili, top it with cornbread batter, and bake the whole thing. that was pretty yummy too.Like a chili pot pie.

    I like cooking with the cast iron skillet. I'm trying to use it more to keep it seasoned.

    ReplyDelete