Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Finally ......Flowers!

Everything is late this year, but finally things are starting to bloom. The only thing that is not, are my orange tiger lilies - they are usually early but this year most of the buds are empty and just falling off. The few that are opening are rather sorry looking flowers., but the dianthus is doing well. The peonies are beginning to open, the pink one is 2 years old and this is the first year it has bloomed, it has the most beautiful scent.

This yellow one is a new species and the lady at the greenhouse didn't know how hardy it would be. It too, is 2 years old and seems to handle the winter just fine.


I love bleeding hearts, I have 2 pink ones in this bed and I planted a white one in the middle of them this spring. On the left are columbines, they are beginning to open too.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what zone are you? My peonies and bleeding hearts were bloomed about a month ago, maybe six weeks. The yellow peony is beautiful. I love the multi petal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're in zone 3 - so I am probably about 3 weeks later than you, but this year even later. I have a huge dark pink peony that last year was in full bloom on the 20th of June, this year it will be at least another week before it's blooming. It was just too cold and too dry earlier everything just sat during May instead of growing.

    ReplyDelete